Thanksgiving Mass to Celebrate 150 years of Catholic Education in the Lismore Diocese

April 29, 2010 3:23 pm
Solemn Mass in Commemoration of the Sesquicentenary of Catholic School Education in the Diocese of Lismore
 
28th April 2010
 
St Carthage’s Cathedral, 28th April, 2010 at 11.30 am.
 
Principal Celebrant: The Most Reverend Geoffrey Jarrett DD, Bishop of Lismore. ({{link page=”Sesquicentenary”}}Homily{{/link}})
 
Principal Concelebrant: The Most Reverend Luc Matthys DD Bishop of Armidale
 
Concelebrating Priests and Retired priests of the Diocese
 
Representatives of all 47 Catholic schools in the Diocese of Lismore: Principals, Staff, Parents and students.
 
Dr Anne Wenham, Director of Catholic Schools and staff of the Catholic Education Office
 
Members of the Diocesan Education Board
 
Representatives of religious orders which have served Catholic schools in the Diocese
 
Mr Don Page, State member for Ballina
 
Mr Thomas George, State member for Lismore
 
Mr Andrew Fraser State, member for Coffs Harbour
 
Councillor Jenny Dowell, Mayor of Lismore
 
Other invited guests from within and beyond the Diocese
 
 
Background
In 1860, 150 years ago, the first Catholic school on the North Coast was opened in Grafton (at that time, within the Diocese of Armidale). It was housed in St Patrick’s Church in Skinner Street. The first teacher was Mr Edward Tracey.
 
In 2010 there are now 33 primary schools, 1 infants school, 12 secondary schools and 1 Congregational secondary school in the Diocese. These schools collectively educate 16,849 students this year.
 
 
 
 
Dr Anne Wenham, Director of Catholic Schools comments:
 
“We commence the sesquicentenary year by giving thanks for God’s blessings so richly bestowed on parish schools across the Diocese. Catholic education has provided high quality education to generations of young people in the Diocese who have been well-equipped to take their place in our Church and community.
 
We give thanks for the religious congregations that have led and served so many parish school communities. We owe these men and women an enormous debt – their lives of selfless service, commitment, love and care paved the way for quality Catholic education. Their example has been and will continue to be the cornerstone upon which the lay staff today build their vocations.
 
· Society of Mary (Marist Fathers, SM)
· Marist Brothers of the Schools (FMS)
· Ursulines of the Roman Union (OSU)
· Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (FDNSC)
· Sisters of the Good Samaritan (SGS)
· Sisters of Mercy (RSM)
· Presentation Sisters (PBVM)
· Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart (RSJ)
· Sisters of St Joseph (SSJ)
· Congregation of the Christian Brothers (CFC)
· Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul (DC)
 
We acknowledge too, the leadership of the Bishops for Catholic Education over 150 years
 
· The Most Rev Jeremiah Doyle (1887-1909)
· The Most Rev John Carroll (1909-1949)
· The Most Rev Patrick Farrelly (1949-1971)
· The Most Rev John Satterthwaite (1971-2001)
· The Most Rev Geoffrey Jarrett (2001- )
 
 
On this important occasion we acknowledge the contributions of those who have built and served Catholic schools in the Diocese – parish priests, parish communities, staff and parents. We also acknowledge the significant contribution of successive governments and the wider community to our parish schools.